Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 18:25:03 -0700
From:      "G.R.Gircys" <rich@oester.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM - Can we make it stop!

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Instead of fighting spam with spam, just don't buy anything from them,
> ever, at any future time.  Works for me.  Eventually, they won't be
> able to make any money from it, and they'll stop (worst case) or go
> bankrupt (best case).
>
>                                         Terry Lambert
>                                         terry@lambert.orgterry,

i know you for your fine contributions to various nobel efforts, but you are
wrong on this issue and in your strategy.

they will not stop; even a spoiled spam makes money. to borrow part of a reply
from jim dennis:

        Unfortunately these companies often don't go out of business,
        even if all the offended parties boycott them indefinitely.
        Their spamming is only one of many marketing efforts -- and
        they'll often never realize how many sales they've lost due
        to their behavior.  Any sales they do make are indications
        of "success" and no marketer is going to say "our low sales
        are do to our piss-poor marketing strategy and blatant
        disregard for the values of our target audience"  (well,
        some might -- but only to oust someone else out of a job).

jim is right!

what's wrong with your strategy is that it ignores my rights; and ignores the cumulative cost
to consumers and cumulative rights.

i have had it. spamming must stop. it is cyberwar. this is the value i place
on my cyberrights and unless we fight, slowly we will lose them.

my opinion - you have a right to yours; but i feel strongely enough about
this to tell you you are wrong.

i also feel like no one cares - so far no interest in cyberwar :-(

rich