Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 15:45:35 -0700
From:      "Morgan Davis" <mdavis@cts.com>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: pcm strange-ness...

Also running 4.1-stable and experiencing problems with pcm that I don't
think have been described yet.  While using mpg123 (stable package), mp3
playback will either start or lapse into a harsh static, like a randomly
chaotic waveform.  I have seen the "hardware pointer went negative" error
message as well, but it doesn't always coincide with this.  I never had this
problem with pcm on 3.5-stable on the exactly same hardware.

Sound card details:

sbc0: <Creative ViBRA16X> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5
drq 1,3 on isa0
sbc0: setting card to irq 5, drq 1, 3
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16 (ViBRA16X)> on sbc0
unknown0: <Game> at port 0x201 on isa0