Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:10:45 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, tony@fit.qut.edu.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in NFS

Is symbolic link support working in devfs?

I need to do little things like ln -s /dev/cuaa1 /dev/gps0
for xntpd.

It was my understanding that no further development is going into devfs and
that it's not ready for prime-time without symlinks and permission changes.
Please tell me I'm wrong?

Paul

  From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
  In message <199606180740.RAA14812@godzilla.zeta.org.au>, Bruce Evans writes:
  >>  Bruce, I am of course using the same OS on each machine. Actually I am
  >>  using the wonderfull FreeBSD netboot system to build a diskless client
  >>  system. Since I have no local UFS filesystems its really hard to get a
  >>  working /dev directory. The machine still have a hard drive and I would
  >>  like to put some swap space on it. Hope this makes things clearer.
  >
  >Use only devices which have numbers (on the server) < 64K (e.g., wd0b)
  >and don't manage devices from the client.

  Or use devfs ?

  whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, In
>>c.
  Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.