Date:      27 Mar 2001 15:29:11 -0800
From:      neal@nelsonnet.org
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   ThinkPad 600 Sound

OK, here's some more detail on my sound problems:

It's a ThinkPad 600 not a 600E. At least, it doesn't say it's an E anywhere.
I'm running FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE off the CD.

My current configuration is with the modifications to /sys/conf/files that was posted in response to my original question and with the following line in my kernel config file:

pcm0 at isa? port 0x52c irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10

At startup I get:

pcm0 <CS4236> at port 0x52c-0x533 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0xa110 on isa0

/dev/sndstat reports:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Mar 27 2001 21:15:29
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CS4236> at io 0x52c irq 5 drq 1:0 (1p/1r channels duplex)

When I try to make some sound from Gnome, it doesn't complain but nothing emerges.

When I try to copy a .au file to /dev/audio I get the message:
cp: /dev/audio: Device busy

Previously to patching the /sys/conf/files file, I tried the following settings in my kernel configuration file:

device pcm
device csa

This resulted in pretty much the same results and still no sound.

Is there something odd about the ThinkPad or am I doing something wrong? This is most frustrating. Even more so than getting Xfree86 4.0.1 to work on it.