Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 1995 17:55:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        paul@isl.cf.ac.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

Paul Richards writes:

> > > What do people think about a full hackers<->comp.os.freebsd gateway then?
> >
> > I'm against it for the reasons already given, which mostly include the
> > signal/noise ratio.
> >
> > Even the Linux developers have given up on the newsgroups and do most of
> > the work in mailing lists.  I *rarely* see any postings from Linus, and
> > there are only 2-3 developers who answer questions anymore.
>
> I'm not going to push strongly for this but I'll make one last point. I'm
> only talking about hackers, which is not a development list and isn't
> even that technical, it more of a general discussion list and really
> plays the role that the newsgroup should.
>
> If we did set up a gateway then I guess the role will evolve and if it
> does get noisy people will drop from it and use -current instead. I
> don't see this being such a bad thing really and it would show the
> wider newsgroup audience that we're actually a pretty active project.

Our mailing list definition:

> freebsd-hackers                 Technical discussions and suggestions
> freebsd-current                 Discussions about the use of FreeBSD-current

I don't mind having "questions" gated to the newsgroup.  I don't
want to see hackers gated.  IMHO, -current isn't for technical
talk, it is for "BE SURE YOU RECOMPILE CONFIG" and other notes
specifically pertaining to running -current.

If -hackers isn't technical which lists are?
Also, which are the development lists?  Am I missing out on a whole
bunch of good technical discussion about FreeBSD?

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936