Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:13:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dev Chanchani <dev@wopr.inetu.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Power

We had an extended power outage last night. After realizing that our UPS's
would not keep our network up for the black-out, I ran to sears with a
credit card and bought a Craftsman generator.

My lesson in power began :)

I was wondering if anyone has been through this and could help me on a
couple of points:

We have our servers, switches and routers plugged into APS UPS's (600's
and 650's). The UPS's are plugged into surge protectors. The surge
protectors are plugged into 15 AMP 12 guage 100 ft extension coards. We
ran the extension cords (took them out of the wall) and plugged them into
the generator. The 650 UPS could not take it, it was flipping between
generator power and UPS power every second. So... my questions are as
follows:

1. Can you plug a UPS -> Surge protector -> generator
2. Are there any specifics I should look for when planning the power setup
of new servers and racks.
3. How much output does a genarator need per server (as a rule of thumb)?
4. Was the UPS switching from internal power to external power because the
generator power was fluctuating, not enough power, etc?

If anyone has experience with this type of stuff, any help and information
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS: To anyone who does not have experience in this, you might want to take
a look, because its not fun to learn these things in total darkness in a
ice storm.. ;)