Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:22:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@webweaving.org>
Subject:   Re: pcm - stutters

Nick Hibma writes:

 > The output of my ESS 1869 stutters whenever there is no new data fed to
 > it. For example pressing Ctrl-Z, or heavy disk usage (normally making
 > mpg123 jump). The stuttering is repetition of one short fragment of
 > about a quarter of a second, indefinitely
 >
 > Anything I can try with this machine current as of jan.24 02:00 GMT?

I don't know much about sound, but it seems like pcm doesn't deal very
gracefully with underflow.

I have a very wimpy machine (133MHz P5 laptop):
CPU: Pentium/P54C (133.64-MHz 586-class CPU)
<...>
sbc0: <ESS ES1688> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x388-0x38b,0x330-0x331 irq 5
drq 1 on isa0
pcm0: <SB DSP 3.01 (ESS mode)> on sbc0

I cannot play anything with amp -- the song starts to stutter after a
second or two of play.  I can use mgp123 which (I think) uses a more
efficient decoder.  Using mpg123, I see the same symptoms as you
report.

RealPlayerG2 seems to do better than amp.  Especially if I tell it to
"disable custom sampling rates."  But still not as good as mpg123.

Drew