Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 11:31:16 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        imp@village.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, sef@kithrup.com, dennis@etinc.com, louie@TransSys.COM, hackers@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay and FreeBSD

Poul-Henning Kamp stands accused of saying:

> > One thing to keep in mind is that PCs also come in 4"x4"x4" cubes that
> > are expandible via PC-104 bus cards.  Something like this could easily
> > stack like firewood to fill a small space in little time.  Put a
> > ramdisk or flashram card inot this mix, run FreeBSD on it and you have
> > a nice little box.  I believe that these boxes are 100% PC compatible,
> > but am not 100% positive.  They are showing up in places like the
> > Circuit Cellar magazine.  I don't hink you'll find a pentium on one of
> > these boxes, but I recall seeing 386 and 486 in them.
>
> These are the absolute craze in automation and industrial environments.
> You can get P5s, I've even seen a P6 prerelease.

A couple of problems with these units :

  Co$t (Especially for anything more than a 486DLC
  Heat dissipation
  PC-104 is ISA on a different connector

Having said that, if space is critical, they're a great way to go.

> Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.

]] Collector of old Unix hardware.      "I seek PEZ!" - The Tick        [[