Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:15:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      andy@mini.chicago.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network problems (4.x-stable w/LNE100TX)

I am experiencing some strangeness with a newly installed system
that I hope someone can help me with.  It's a generic pentium II
system with two LNE100TX NICs installed (complete with the 82c169
chip).  I just finished building and installing the world so I'm
up to 4.x-STABLE that's a couple of days old.  The cards were
probed and assigned the 'dc' driver on install so that's what I
built into the kernel.  I guess that's enough on the setup.

As to the problem - the machine seems to work fine for a period of
time (during which it's mostly idle since I'm not yet done setting
it up).  Then, at random times, the networking just seems to disappear.
I can't ping the machine from outside and the machine can't ping out.
Everything just seems to be dead as far as performing any networking
operations goes.  I have not tried running ifconfig on the NIC after
things go south.

Given how buggy the chips seem I guess I wouldn't be surprised if
it could just be the boards.  Could it be something else?  Has this
been experienced before?  Is there any remedy?  Does anyone have any
other ideas?

Any info/help would be appreciated.

Andy