Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:53:22 -0500
From:      Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan@CS.WM.EDU>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rsync core dumping?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 08:13:24AM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> So there've been numerous bulletins to bugtraq, etc. about remote
> vulnerabilities in rsync prior to 2.4.6 or so.  I saw no FreeBSD-specific
> announcements, however the hole appeared to be pretty generic, so I
> upgraded anyways to the current version in /usr/ports, 2.5.2.  Since the
> vulnerability announcements, and both before *and* after my upgrade, I've
> been seeing core dumps from the two public rsync servers I run for
> apache.org.
>
> Feb  1 07:34:09 daedalus /kernel: pid 81088 (rsync), uid 65534: exited on signal 11
>
> Since it runs as an untrusted user and I see no evidence of a compromise I
> assume it's script kiddies trying whatever linux exploit
> shove-3-K-of-^@'s-in-a-header kind of attack they might have, but the fact
> that it still causes a seg fault despite upgrading to a supposedly "fixed"
> version is somewhat concerning.  Is anyone else seeing this?  I can't
> recreate what causes the core dump, I suppose doing a tcpdump to see what
> people are feeding my server is the next step.
>
> 	Brian

I don't know about FreeBSD package since I do not use rsync on my BSD
machine, but on the network I maintain Red Hat issued two rsync updates
in five days. The first one was the security issue. The second one was a
fix because rsync segfaulted and even corrupted file system. FWIW.

--
Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan@cs.wm.edu>
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~zvezdan/