Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 15:29:05 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        evanc@synapse.net, shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au, mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

>Assume you are doing something like FTP of packages-current.
>You are reading about 16 kilobytes per second, which is just about 1,142
>interrupts per second (assuming a 16 myte FIFO and 14 byte treshold.  Every
>1KB, you write to disk, so now we have 1,160 interrupts per second.  Add
>10% ACK on the FTP connection, HZ heartbeat, and you have 1,400 interrupts
>per second.  Say 2,000 interrupts/Sec.  A P6-200 will be safe in this
>regard.  In a RT O/S this will give us about 500us per interrupt.  What do
>you think?

I think 2000 interrupts/second is not many.  A 486/33 can handle about
50000 sio interrupts/second, as it needs to do to handle just 2 16450
UARTs at 115200 bps bidirectional saturated.  Running such a setup plus
some other sources of interrupts was my standard test until I junked
the 486/33 recently.  OTOH, a P6/200 can't handle many more sio
interrupts/second, since sio interrupt handling consists mainly of
PIO, especially on fast systems, especially for buffered UARTs.  The
486/33 was replaced by a K6/233 which has significantly (50%) slower
ISA PIO than the 486/33.

Bruce