Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 08:49:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Arnold <tom@inna.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD's Mascot

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I read some time ago that the "deamons" used by BSD were not so devilish
> > after all. The term deamon , in it's latin roots, refers to a higher
> > power, good or bad. In UNIX it is recognized that there are good and bad
> > deamons.
>
> Greg Lehey has a synopsis of this in his book.  Indeed, they're not
> devlish.

Urm...  If anyones gonna even THINK about worrying about our OS's mascot
being red with horns and a pitchfork...  and worried about it being called
a daemon.  Might we also want to rewrite every reference in the manpages
as well as tons of source comments and indeed even many standard NAMES
that contain the word Daemon?  Hell, for that matter, read some of the
Microsoft NT Docs.  They even refer to daemons as daemons.  If someones
gonna get wound up over Chuckie they're gonna go through the ROOF when
they find an ENTIRE SATANIC Operating System...

[ this said with tongue firmly planted in cheek ]

Hopefully we wont degenerate into a Political Correctness discussion...
what the hell would we name man pages???

     : Tom Arnold - No relation to Rosanne           :
     : SysAdmin/Pres - TBI, Ltd ( inna.net )         :
     : The Middle Peninsula's Internet Connection    :