Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:20:16 -0500
From:      Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jumbo Packet fail.

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu> wrote:
> On 11/17/2012 5:32 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

[my description of MTU not having effect on MSS, deleted]

> Did you reboot or alter the existing route so it also uses the higher MTU? I
> realize that need is not obvious.  Check netstat -rni.

O I C.  I understand why it is, but it's a small surprise to me.  This
brings up a related issue:

The syntax for things I don't do often with route and friends (I
suppose I would include netstat and sometimes even ifconfig) is
difficult to remember and difficult to discern.

As an example, going from your first post, I might want to do something like:

route change 192.168.221.84 mtu 9014

... but this doesn't work.  In fact, part of this problem is that the
route doesn't have an easy to specify destination, but it's also
because it's not clear how to indicate the mtu change.  It's similarly
hard to specify ipv6 addresses for route et. al.  And the man pages
are of little help here.