Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:14:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Smaller, Dedicated tools and Greg's Daemon News Article

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 12:29:45PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > The ability to run diff against your RTF is part of the same
> > continuum. Your gut just chooses to react differently to loops and
> > variable dereferences, although at the level we're talking about a
> > variable dereference is conceptually the same thing as running a
> > program.

> I don't know what you're saying there.

He's saying your looking at it wrong.  You're already doing the same thing
programmers do, without really realizing it.  You're writing formatting
macros, which is functionally equivalent to writing code to format output
on a slightly lesser scale.  You are conceptually there, and haven't quite
looked at the street signs enough to realize it yet.  I don't program.  I
was scarred by fortran in a former life, and have been turned off ever
since, but basic shell scripting to c is still conceptually the same.  You
have some data you wish to manipulate, or same task to automate, and you
put something together to do it for you.  In your case, it's making rtf
documents for a customer.

Jamie Bowden

--
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)