Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 23:05:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staroffice woes on 4.4 RC --SOLVED!!

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 07:30:51PM -0600, Mike Porter wrote:
> > (posting the solution here so it can go into the archives on the off
> > chance that somone else in the future might actually search the
> > archives before posting and find the answer to his question....)
>
> This is an off-topic question, but this is probably the closest place
> I can come to for some guesses...
>
> The company where I work has been =very= put off by the licensing
> Microsoft is rolling out with XP.  I've proposed that for most
> purposes, we could replace the desktops now in use with StarOffice.
> I'd prefer using the SunRay thin client and an Enterprise-class
> server for most desktops.

We're using SunRay clients off an Enterprise server with good
luck - almost.  After nearly a year, the appliances (SunRay 1)
started failing.  But they have a 3 or 5 year warranty and
Sun ships you new ones within a day or two no questions asked.
The SunRay 1's only cost us $377 US, so order a couple spare
so you can swap them in while you wait a couple of days for
new ones to show up.  I'm not sure why they started failing.
We do set them up to max out the video at 1280x1024 @ 85Hz
though.

We haven't tried StarOffice yet.  We use a Windows 2000 box
with Terminal Services and Citrix, and run Citrix clients on
the Sun Enterprise server to offer up the typical Windows
apps (Office, Project, etc).

We don't have a solution for the laptops, though.  We still
run Windows NT and 2000 on them.  So far, FreeBSD is limited
to our file and web servers and routers/firewalls.

--
Dan Eischen