Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:19:13 +0100
From:      James Raynard <james@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.99999?

On Thu, Jun 04, 1998 at 05:55:18PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> I've got a quandary on my hands. I need to deploy a new UNIX server, and
> would like to run FreeBSD on it. I could run 2.2.6 (with patches -- unless
> a 2.2.7 is imminent) on it, or risk going to 3.0-current.

According to Jordan's recent Usenet posting <yfgaf7tb2jj.fsf@time.cdrom.com>
there will be a 2.2.7 release in mid-July.  (Note the disclaimer about
dates, though).

> 2.2.6 is
> fabulously stable, but -current has so many appealing features that are not
> being migrated back to 2.2.x (for instance, CAM, DOS VMs, long user names,
> 64-bit dates, etc.) that I'd be sacrificing a lot if I installed 2.2.6.

It depends whether you prefer features or reliability :-)  If, as you say,
it's a production machine, I would stick to 2.2.x.

> How far is 3.0 away from prime time?

Mid-October, although I suspect this may well slip.

> What is the official criterion for
> deciding when it's ready to do a release?

Basically whenever the core team feel it's ready.

> Now that it has so many things
> that 2.2.6 doesn't, is it time for a 2.9999 release based on the -current
> source tree to wring out the remaining bugs?

Maybe.  I have to admit I worry sometimes about the ever-widening gap
between -stable and -current and how well all the new features in 3.0 are
going to work in the field.

James (not a member of core)