Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 10:56:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha 4100 Status

> On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 09:28:42AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > Alpha 4100s appear to be (at least somewhat) working in -current now.
>
> Not sure what that means.  JHB and I debate if that means it runs and
> boots, but not with a Qlogic SCSI card in the machine.  Can you clarfiy
> if I update our 4100 to -current that we will have the same functionality
> we have at PRE_SMPNG?

It, and 4.2, works on the 4100 with one QLogic card configured. I use the
isp_disable environment variable to disable the others. Sometimes the system
boots with them (bot PRE_SMPNG and -current) fine, sometimes it panics. It
may be some other (non-SMPNG) bug because it also appears in 4.2.

Remember, though, that this is early days. I have the two MCPCIA 4100 working
here at Feral (and you should see that power meter spin!). I have yet to try
the four MCPCIA 4100s at NASA/Ames (since I cannot power cycle them remotely).

My point of what I'm saying is to be cautious- things appear to work in single
unit cases. The entire FreeBSD alpha release, and, frankly, all of FreeBSD, is
not a tested or qualified release, except as we used to joke at Sun ("Our
software is *extensively* field tested! After a year in the field, we know
what doesn't work!").

Therefore, rather than saying, as we have in the past, "4100s work now!", I
will say, "mine does". Until such time as we have full cooperation from the
vendor such that we can make and execute a full test plan for supported
models, that is a more prudent approach.

-matt