Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:15:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.lib.mk "@"'s

David Scheidt once wrote:

> > Why are  many of the build  lines in bsd.lib.mk hidden  with leading
> > @'s, so  that they don't display  in the build? This  is useless, it
> > hides things that go wrong, and hardly belongs here, it seems to me.

> How often do your calls to ld, mv and rm fail?

As one who has  also tripped over this in the  past, I'll second Chuck's
vote. A call to  ld fails more often then that to mv,  but I often found
myself going through the bsd.*.mk and removing the ``@''. Mostly so that
I can see the exact ld-line, but not only...

I remember, in the past, when people were wondering about The Right Ways
to  link  on  FreeBSD  they  were refered  to  the  bsd.lib.mk.  If  the
bsd.lib.mk was exposing  the actual link commands a  little better, this
reference would have been easier to follow.

	-mi