Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 12:27:20 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>, Lloyd Rennie <lloyd@vbc.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ILOVEYOU

move to -chat because this is _completely off topic_ for -hackers

* Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com> [000504 12:06] wrote:
> > Yes, it was real virus and quite nasty one. Which remainds us,
> > that quite soon we cannot live without freebsd naitive virus
> > scanning engine. Such things don't spread so easily, when ISPs
> > are able to scan e-mail and other content they serve.
>
> lol.  The only way you could really have a virus in freebsd is if it was
> launched or infected as root.  Otherwise the virus would be VERY limited.
> If you are talking about scanning incoming email for viruses/scripts that
> were destined for Windows computers, ok, I'd say that's not a bad idea.

That's completely untrue, a well written UNIX virus would trojan as
many places as it could to trip up a sysadmin, I'm sure there are
still problems along the line of vi sourcing arbitratry .exrc files.

It could also apply heuristics at grepping the user's mail and
personal files to search out possible passwords transmitted that
way.

There's also the unfortunate effect of having the thing worm its
way into other machines that the user has accounts on, eventually
gaining root somehow.  Simply enough if a user was a priveledged
user and su'd to root, there goes the machine.

Depending on the level of trust amongst machines you could pretty
easily whip up another worm, the hard part is fighting the legal
battle when you get caught. :)