Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2017 11:20:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xeon E5 (PowerEdge 320) bailing out

> On 08/28/2017 00:53, Aijaz Baig wrote:
> > Trying to run Bhyve on a PowerEdge 320 system which DOES have a POPCNT
> > instruction which shows support for VT-x support via EPT but I still get
> > the this error there
> >
> > sh /usr/share/examples/bhyve/vmrun.sh -c 1 -m 2048M -t tap0 -d guest.img -i
> > -I FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso fbsd10
> > Launching virtual machine "fbsd10" ...
> > vm_create: Device not configured
> >
> > dmesg:
> > vmx_init: processor does not support VMX operation
> >
> > cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep -i popcnt
> >    Features2=0xffba2203<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,SSSE3,CX16,PCID,
> > SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,HV>
> >    Features2=0xffba2203<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,SSSE3,CX16,PCID,
> > SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,HV>
> >
> > Isn't this processor supposed to support Bhyve (Xeon E5)??
> >

> what product number is your E5?? According to the manual you need the
> following for Intel CPUs to run bhyve:
>
> " The easiest way to tell if a processor supports bhyveis to run
> |dmesg|or look in |/var/run/dmesg.boot|for...|EPT|and |UG|on the
> |VT-x|line for Intel? processors."? (I snipped the reference to POPCNT
> which seems to be an AMD only requirement."

And POPCNT is not all you need on AMD, there are AMD processors with
POPCNT that do not have RIP, and RIP is needed for bhyve, the wiki
should be updated to reflect that.

> its possible that your E5 is old enough that it lacks the VT-x support
> that bhyve needs.

I do not believe there are any XEON e5 class CPUs that lack VT-x,
as the E5 family's first versions are Sandy Bridge-EN/EP core based
chips.