Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 22:47:56 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        bv@wjv.com
Cc:        Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>, Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>, deepak@ai.net, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OC48 interface

Bill Vermillion wrote:
> I'm still learning all this too but from what I've read the opinions
> are the OC-768 won't happen because SONET is a TDM [Time Division
> Multiplexing] method and carries a lot of overhead with it.

AFAIK TDM isn't frowned upon all that much.  It carries overhead as far
as someone needing to provide clock, but it seems like the best way to
make truly separate channels in the same band on the same
fibre/pair/transmitter area.  Or CDM, I suppose.  Ethernetish
technologies are better, IMHO, for things where you just want a big fat
pipe.  I guess this is why bandwidth ppl like it, but for traditional
telco stuff you might want sonet.

> Speeds will be there, but it just won't be SONET. I remember
> sitting through some tutorials about 2 years ago - and Ciena
> was calling all the SONET upgrades 'fork lift upgrades' because it
> doesn't upgrade that well.

I'm guessing this has to do with the timeslices getting smaller, but I
really don't know enough to say (if anyone wants an intern who will work
for cheap, loves unix, and wants to learn all the crazy network stuff,
please email me!!!).

> It makes sense.  I know that were I have some machines located [in
> a Level 3 facility] they say their goal is to drop all SONET and
> become a pure IP transport.

I assume by IP u mean ethernet or some similar technology with IP
running on it, or am I being dense again.

> If I'm mis-understanding this, please let me know.

I think we're both on the right track.  I wish I had more experience in
all this...

--
Laurence Berland
Northwestern '04