Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 1996 20:57:04 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

> Perhaps it's just me, but I really don't expect current to build all the
> time.  It's just a fact of life...  That's why it's called -current.

Well, while I'd be the first to agree with you, it still appears to be
the case that a goodly percentage of folks want, for lack of a better
and less oxymoronic term, a "stable-current."  I also think that we can
give them this and without sacrificing developer access to the "real"
-current (HEAD).

What would help would be a concerted effort on the part of the
-current developers to move over to CVSup or CTM'd, grabbing the CVS
tree in cases where the latter is used.  I also know that people have
traditionally complained that a CVS tree takes up lots of space, but
c'mon guys - disk space is disgustingly cheap now.  I think we can
stop citing that as a blocking factor, just as we stopped letting 4Mb
machines or 256K VGA cards stand in the way of previous development.
Let's get all the developers moved over to the proper services they
need for doing their jobs, then we can take CTM-current and
sup-current and reshape them for the needs of those who like to stay
up to date but not *that* up to date.  Just judging by the amount of
push-back I've received over the years, I think that group of folks is
larger (and louder) than you think.  It's probably time we sorted them
out, if for no other reason than to eliminate the 47 copies of
"-current is broken again!" messages we currently get on -current
(or -hackers, or both) whenever something breaks. :-)

				Jordan