Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 22:09:49 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: c9x (new ANSI C)

"Louis A. Mamakos" wrote:

> > On Wed, 19 May 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> > > Becoming well versed in C++ has meant that I can now bore you endlessly
> > > with well expressed reasons why I dislike C++.  Now you have all the
> > > language propeller-heads wanting to change C into a C++ lookalike.
> >
> > I've always preferred Objective-C, simply because it's unintrusive (not
> > that I speak it that well :).
>
> Truly and example of the "less is more" concept in action.  I've done
> some non-trivial development in Objective-C, and I can assure you that
> I haven't missed C++'s operator overloading.

I on the other hand have written working embedded systems in C++ and
find it well suited for ANY programming purpose, as long as you under-
stand what is really happening inside the language and use the features
that are appropriate for your application.

Programmers who like language X because they don't have to know what's
going on under the hood worry me, because that means they're trusting
the operation of their software to programmers they literally know
nothing about -- the compiler writers.  And I've been at this FAR too
long to implicitly trust the compiler writers, no matter HOW good they
are.

Poor craftsmen blame their tools, skilled craftsmen make the tools at
hand produce works of art.