Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2012 17:11:25 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
To:        Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net>
Cc:        Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] UNIQUENAME patches

--UUBKWyapWpFAak7q

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 05:06:36PM +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:
> On 16-6-2012 16:53, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> >> Yes.  I thought long and hard about doing that, but I opted not to for
> >> two reasons:
> >>
> >>    1) Using the port name + a uniqueprefix where necessary produces wh=
at
> >>       is close to the minimal change required to give every port a
> >>       unique name.  The UNIQUENAME won't actually change for quite a
> >>       lot of ports under my scheme.
> >>
> >>    2) As a way of future-proofing against reorganizations of the ports
> >>       tree.  What tends to happen is that a new category is invented
> >>       and a number of ports are moved into it.  My way should avoid
> >>       changing the UNIQUENAME in the majority of cases.
> >>
> >> Remember that changing the UNIQUENAME changes where the record of the
> >> port options are stored, and either we annoy a lot of users by making
> >> them fill in a buch of dialogues all over again, or we have to invent
> >> some complicated mechanism copy the old options settings to the new
> >> directory.  (Yes -- this sort of thing will occur with the changes as
> >> written.  It can't be avoided entirely.)
> >>
> >> Plus I think it would be more natural and easier for maintainers and
> >> end-users to talk about (say) "phpmyadmin" rather than
> >> "databases-phpmyadmin."
> >>
> >> 	Cheers,
> >>
> >> 	Matthew
> >>
> >> --=20
> >> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.
> >> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey
> >>

> >=20
> > I'm strongly against adding something related to the category automatic=
ally.
> > Because I'm thinking about binary managerment, adding PKGCATEGORY to un=
iquename
> > would mean a package tracking will be lots in case of moving a port fro=
m a
> > category to another. Currently in pkgng a package is identified by its =
origin
> > and thus can't survive automatically from a move, because origin change=
s.
>=20
> You should solve this using a better index format. I figured out years
> ago that the INDEX format used by the ports system is not a good format
> for binary upgrades.
>=20
> <http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-December/18779=
6.html>
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Mel

Before saying that you should have a look at what pkgng is. pkgng doesn't g=
ive a
shit about index. and changing the INDEX won't solve that if you have no way
unique way to identify a package you are doomed, have a look at every single
package management system in the world, all of the sane one with real binary
management system have a unique way to identify packages. We don't !

Bapt

--UUBKWyapWpFAak7q

--UUBKWyapWpFAak7q--