Date:      Thu, 2 Jun 2005 11:55:25 -0500
From:      Noel Jones <noeldude@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postgrey question

On 6/1/05, Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 June 2005 12:44 pm, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>=20
> > That's where I was a little confused (kirk?  Insight, clarification?)
> > because I thought that line would have it pass the message to another
> > queue on port 10023 of the localhost, like the way Amavis runs.
>=20
> That's correct.
>=20
> > I didn't know if that meant it would be running three postfix queues no=
> > or if it is just a misunderstanding on my part.
>=20
> Sort of, in a way, except that in theory any MTA (or other process) could=
 use
> the amavis or postgrey ports, so they're not exactly Postfix-specific.
> --
> Kirk Strauser
>=20
>=20
>=20

The above is wrong. =20
The postfix policy service only passes the envelope information
(client IP, HELO, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO) to the policy daemon (postgrey
in this instance), not the message itself, and expects a standard
postfix access table action in reply, such as DEFER, REJECT, DUNNO,
etc.  No queue is involved.  The postfix policy service is
postfix-specific and not likely useful with other MTAs unless/until
they specifically add support for this type of access map.

This is very different from amavisd-new which expects to receive the
entire message via SMTP from postfix.

--=20
Noel Jones