Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2007 18:16:33 -0700
From:      Christopher Cowart <ccowart@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
To:        Joe Holden <joe@joeholden.co.uk>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, questions@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck on a read only partition?

--XVon4esBxRD1rZiP

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 01:49:47AM +0100, Joe Holden wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > Hello, how do I fsck my disk if it's mounted?
> >=20
> > I have downgraded the mount to read-only, but still geom seems
> > to disallow fsck access to it.=20
> >=20
> > Is there a way to tell the system to allow fsck to open it
> > read/write?
> >=20
> > thanks,
> If you unmount it first, you should be able to fsck it fine, /dev/blah
> (ad0/1/2/whatever)

I think that misses the point; what if it's the / filesystem?=20

I have personally wanted to do this before myself. I had a situation
where a deleted file was still being written to by a backgrounded
tcpdump, resulting in a full filesystem but no file to rm. It would have
been great to quick remount ro, fsck, then remount rw. Instead, I had to
schedule downtime, reboot into single, and run fsck -- not fun.

--=20
Chris Cowart
Lead Systems Administrator
Network Infrastructure, RSSP-IT