Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 01:03:26 +0200
From:      Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports list/deinstall

--kfjH4zxOES6UT95V

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 at 20:49:17 +0200, S=F8ren Neigaard wrote:
> I have just installed the jdk122 port, and it installed a LOT of other
> things... Can I somehow get a list of all that are installed on my
> system, en easily deinstall ports?

pkg_info(1) is good for this.

For deinstalling, `make deinstall' is the standard way, and usually
works well.

If you use ports a lot though, i recommend installing the
sysutils/portupgrade port.  It's very useful collection of utilities for
manipulating packages and the ports collection.  Most notably, if you
cvsup your ports collection regularly, it lets you upgrade a port with
one command, instead of the usual pkg_delete/make install combo, which
sometimes messes up dependency information IME.

Another reason to get it is `portversion -L=3D', which lists all installed
packages whose version numbers don't correspond to their ports
collection equivalents.  Quick way to get a list of names to feed
portupgrade(1), and keep you on the bleeding edge. :-)

> What happens if I deinstall something that something else depends on,
> is this deinstalled too then?

I'm not sure how `make deinstall' handles this, but portupgrade includes
a tool called pkg_deinstall, which offers you the option of deinstalling
a package including everything that depends on it.

--=20
Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
Today's subliminal thought is:

--kfjH4zxOES6UT95V