Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:52:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.medinet.si>
To:        webmaster@web-trends.com (Susie Ward)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dialups work finally!

> locally besides Sportsters. So does anyone have any other suggestions
> (besides Couriers, I'm checking into pricing on those, but not sure if I
> can afford them, if I can that will most likely be what I go with)? I know
> that opinions on what modems to use vary greatly, but I would like to hear
> any problems/successes any of you have had with certain ones so I will know
> which ones to definitely avoid and which ones to check into.

I am currently using a mix of Couriers and Sportsters. Users did not
have any problems with connections to any of the above. The only
problem is that sometimes the Sportsters simply hang and don't
accept dialup connections anymore or change the baud rate (so you
get noise on your screen), etc. and sometimes not even turning them
off helps, you have to reinit and reset them. This never happened
with a Courier. So I would definitely NOT recommend a Sportster
as an ISP dialup modem, especially not the Voice version, because
this one is even more flaky (we have some of those because the
normal ones were not available and we needed them badly).

I'm switching to a Livingston Portmaster 3 right now and hope
to get rid of all those modems ASAP :)

--
Blaz Zupan, blaz.zupan@medinet.si, http://www.medinet.si/~blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia