Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 13:03:48 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Julian Steinberg <Julian@imaginetrix.com>
Cc:        "'Odhiambo Washington'" <wash@poeza.iconnect.co.ke>, mj@isy.liu.se, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thanks for your responses!

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 11:46:28AM -0700, Julian Steinberg wrote:
> I do appreciate them very much.
>
> However, I am going to leave this issue alone right now.

Huh?

And if you are going to change the Subject: line, you probably should
keep it to something in line with the content of the message. I
deleted it first pass through the list, but accidently read it
anyway.

> I am trying to make my BSD machine into an IP router.
>
> I have done everything that the documentation suggests but I have a feeling
> I am missing something or something is left out:

Looks that way.

> I have:
>
> a) Compiled a kernel with options: IP FIREWALL and IPDivert

OK.

> b) I have rc.conf set with gateway enable

OK.

> c) I have two NICS

OK.

> d) The BSD machine can ping the internet

OK.

> e) My internal machines can ping both NIC's of the BSD, the one on their
> logical subnet and the one with the external address.

It is somewhat misleading to say that they can "ping both NIC's." But
it is nice to know that the FreeBSD box knows it has an interface with
that IP.

> f) My firewall type is " Open"

Good.

> However, internal machines cannot ping anything on the internet

You seemed to have left out the part where you are running a NAT
daemon like natd(8). You put 'IPDIVERT' in the kernel and all, so I
guess that you know you need to do that, right?

> When a client on the inside makes an external request, I get the following
> message from the BSD console:
>
> " /Kernel: arp: 192.168.10.50 ( my win2k client ) is on xl1 but got reply
> from
> 00:10:4b:2a:32:e5 on xl0"

This makes it look like your physical networking is messed up.

> Xl0 is my external ip address ( 63.195.121.108 255.2555.255.0)
> xl1 is my internal address 	( 192.168.10.10. 255.255.255.0 )

Please tell me that you don't have everything plugged into one
hub. That's what that ARP message looks like.