Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:19:58 -0700
From:      "David E. Tweten" <tweten@frihet.com>
To:        dima@best.net
Cc:        tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net (Ted Spradley), louie@TransSys.COM, trost@cloud.rain.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

dima@best.net said:
>Normal users *do not need* to have an read acces to the kernel.
>They simply don't.

I'm sorry, but this one finally pinched my corn.  System administrators who
believe users must prove that they need a service or resource before they
will be permitted access to it have always annoyed me.  When they get the
upper hand, such administrators destroy user productivity by forcing the more
numerous class of "users" to waste time proving when they should be using.
When I have the opportunity, I try to challenge such *administrators* to
prove that no users have a need before clamping down.

"Prove to my you need it" is not the Unix way as I understand it.  To quote
from the forward of the original Bell System Technical Journal introducing
Unix [volume 57, number 6, part 2], "He [Ken Thompson] and the others who
soon joined him had one overriding objective: to create a computing
environment where they themselves could comfortably and effectively pursue
their own work ..."  What resulted was a system that presumed openness, and
restricted users only when there was a compelling need to do so.

So, my challenge to you is, "Show me how the current kernel permissions can
be used to crack FreeBSD."  If you can't, please don't restrict them.  If you
must, please put mention of this change on a readme file list of gratuitous
restrictions, so I can remove it from my systems without losing too much
sleep over why it was there in the first place.
--
David E. Tweten           |  2047-bit PGP fingerprint:  |  tweten@frihet.com
12141 Atrium Drive        |   E9 59 E7 5C 6B 88 B8 90   |     tweten@and.com