Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 1996 14:38:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      robert@chalmers.com.au (Robert Chalmers)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (bsd)
Subject:   somethings not right here. Need Help please

Hello folks.
I need some help here I think. Something is not right, and I can't pin
it down. I'll try and explain it.

Firstly, let me say that "most" people have no problems connecting to my
site. I know it's slow, but not that bad. I get on avereage between 1.5Kbps
and 2.5Kbps throughput across my link. Either side of the link.
The DNS is configured correctly, and passed all sanity checks. I have some
some 20 years in the computer industry, and like to think I know what I
am doing. This one has me foxed. Maybe it isn't even my site!

BUT.... here's the tricky thing. You know how yahoo.com will do a sanity
check on your server when you have filled in the "add url" page, and you
click on "submit" ? ( if you don't, no point in reading further I guess )
If your site passes this check, the url is added to their db. If something
goes wrong, it tells you as best it can, and fails to add your url to the db.

well, I fill in the page and click on submit. If I leave the address in
the submit page as www.chalmers.com.au, which is the FreeBSD server I have
just recently got running, _yahoo wont complete_. The FreeBSD server is called
ruby.chalmers.com.au, and www is a CNAME pointing to that server in the DNS.
yahoo.com returns a "timeout" error. Even if I change the url to read
ruby.chalmers.com.au, same thing.

ok, next step. I change the address in the "submit url" page to show
nanguo.chalmers.com.au, which is the original server I used for www, a SCO,
note I call it "nanguo.chalmers.com.au", not www.chalmers.com.au, I
click on the submit url button, and instantly it is accepted!

Now, I've had lots of people suggest things to me. Most of which I'm told
often anyway. But no one seems to be able to tell me why yahoo can't pass
a sanity check to the FreeBSD server, and can to the SCO.

Further to this, I have not had this problem with ANY other search engine?
And I have only had one other complaint from a person telling me my site
would only 'time out' when they connected. In that case, _they_ did not
have their DNS configured correctly.

So... has anyone experienced this sort of thing before? with yahoo? with
anything? or anyone? Is there a guru out there who understands the mysteries
of life, the universe and everything....

ta for any help,
tanks
bob

--
The China House					Sheng Huo Jiu Shi Dou Zheng
robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://www.chalmers.com.au