Date:      Wed, 07 Oct 1998 10:41:28 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>, Stephan Mantler <step@imagination.at>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fun with route(8) ...

At 09:59 PM 10/7/98 +1000, Eddie Irvine wrote:
>Stephan Mantler wrote:
>
>Umm, since no one else has replied yet... I kinda thought that
>the IP router closest to you HAD to be on the same IP subnet as
>your interface. What IP number is at the other end or your gateway
>interface?

I did and it turns out he's dealing with a bridge situation, so the IPs do not have to be the same.  Recommended yes, necessary no.

Just a matter now of figuring out the equipment's quirks.

Know anything about PairGain and bridging?

Read a white paper and they started calling them edge switches and not edge routers.  Either way, fun to config.  NOT!

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net