Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 1999 00:08:15 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape core dump, happily :-)

At 03/10/99, Chris Piazza wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 11:25:23AM -0400, Jon Parise wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 12:22:55PM +0200, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
> >
> > > Is there anyone who is experienced Netscape crashes with 4.0-CURRENT
> when
> > > the close button is pressed (not always, but very often) ?
> > > It happens to me with 4.61 and 4.70 , it doesn't happen with
> 3.2-STABLE I
> > > have at work.
> >
> > Yes, I've been experiencing that as well.  It writes a zero length
> > core file in my home directory and exits with signal 10:
> >
> > Oct  1 16:20:53 void /kernel: pid 18518 (navigator-4.61.b), uid
> > 1000: exited on signal 10
> >
> > It's incredibly annoying, but I haven't bothered to track it down
> > in any great detail.
>
>Disable Javascript and the problem will go away (ugh).  I once had
>it crash over 30 times in a single day.

It's not related to Javascript or at least not these cores ...
Here it crashes also when browsing local files (without Javascript) and it
DOESN'T happen with 3.3-STABLE...

So it has to be a 4.0-CURRENT problem that perhaps worths to be investigate
better...
It is not kind to have the "default" browser crashes so heavily and
couldn't rely on it...

I'd like to know if people using other platforms (like Linux and BSDI)
and/or other wm (I use windowmaker) has  the same problem...

Thanks for your time...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it