Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 95 11:11:40 JST
From:      purna@cs.shizuoka.ac.jp
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, dfr@render.com
Subject:   Re: Help installing IDE CD-ROM driver

luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (LUIGI) and dfr@render.com (DFR) responded:

>[LUIGI] I get the same report on my systems (both 1.1 and 2.0.5) with a
>[LUIGI] Sony CDU55 unit mounted as slave on the primary IDE. Nevertheless,
>[LUIGI] I can mount wcd1a just fine. The only thing that does not work is
>[LUIGI] the audio-cd support.

>[DFR] Did you try accessing the drive? I had this problem and I could access
>[DFR] the drive without any problems.

I tried accessing the drive by "mount -r /dev/wcd0c /cdrom". But, it failed.
On the console, the following messages appeared (YWP is the hostname):

	YWP# mount -r /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
        /dev/wcd0c on /cdrom:  Input/output error
        YWP# Aug 24 22:13:30 YWP /kernel: atapi1.0: controller not ready
        Aug 24 22:13:30 YWP /kernel: atapi1.0: controller not ready

BTW, I used 19 and 67 as the BDEV major number and CDEV major number,
respectively, since they were the first unused numbers in 2.0.5ALPHA. But,
I think this doesn't have something to do with the problem. Perhaps, the
problem is because I'm using 3-CD Changer Drive, and the driver still needs
tuning in order to handle it.

Anybody, with IDE 3-CD Changer Drive, successful in installing the IDE
CD-ROM driver?

Regards,

Yusuf Wilajati Purna

Shizuoka Univ.