Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:35:53 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome2 Forks

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Jeremy Messenger
> <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>=
 wrote:

>>> And what about those who using new xorg intel driver (with kms patch fr=
om
>>> kib@)? Will it work?
>>
>> I have no idea. I haven't heard anything about if new Xorg Intel
>> driver will work with gnome-shell/Cinnamon yet.
>
> I really don't see the point in Cinnamon. It looks like Gnome2, but
> still does not provide real Gnome2 capabilities for customization.
> Like focus follow pointer. The removal of the ability to make =A0behave
> like I want it to.

Is this feature what you mean like this?

http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/window_foucs_mode.png

If so then it does work perfect. I am not sure if it's same feature
that you are talking about. But.. You should know that Cinnamon is a
young project and they are working on add/fix features. You can make
request at their place.

> I hope MATE develops into a stable platform

Me too. They are going to port MATE to GTK+3 later. It's in their roadmap.

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/roadmap

Create MATE port should be very easy by repocopy from bsd.gnome.mk to
bsd.mate.mk and modify in bsd.port.mk, then repocopy a lot of ports
that have been renamed from MATE folks. Then some small tweaks in
Makefile/pkg-plist and a few files/* too. I think it will be easy (a
weekend or a bit more days worth of work).

Cheers,
Mezz

> or I may go to something
> else...maybe back to fvwm2. It's sad that after almost 20 years, it is
> still better at positioning new windows than anything I have used
> since. But we have produced lots and lots of eye candy.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com

--=20