Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:21:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Frans ter Borg <frans@quanza.net>
To:        Adrian Gonzalez <adrianbsd@globalpc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Content filtering

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Adrian Gonzalez wrote:

> Is there any software package out there (commercial or not) to do
> content filtering under FreeBSD?  Basically, we install FBSD for our
> customers in mail server/dns/firewall setups, and many have asked if
> there's a way for them to restrict which of their users access what on
> the web.  I'm looking for something maybe with a web interface for
> configuration so that we don't have to go in and tweak settings for each
> customer every time they find a web site they don't want their employees
> accessing.
>
> Suggestions?

I was looking into this not very long ago. Combining Squid
(http://www.squid-cache.org) with Squid Guard (http://www.squidguard.org),
which allows you to block the sites you want. Squidguard also provides a
periodically updated blacklist of sites including porn sites.

Another option seems to be <http://dansguardian.org>. Use google and
search for "squid content filtering" for more options. Other useful links
can be found at <http://devel.squid-cache.org/>; for example a mysql
interface to ACLs.

hope this helps...

Frans

--
Quanza Engineering B.V.                   www.quanza.net
Frans ter Borg, Haarlemmerstraat 49-3, 1013 EK Amsterdam