Date:      Thu, 8 May 2008 08:28:44 +0200
From:      "Claus Guttesen" <kometen@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best-performing disk I/O options for a DBMS server on 7-STABLE

> What's the best option?
>
> Assume PCI/Express bus, having to buy a card AND disk(s) are fine.
>
> I assume SCSI is the best path forward (either SA/SCSI or traditional) but
> have been out of the loop on the card(s) that work properly for a good long
> while.
>
> What's my best option?

I have a HP DL360 G5 with an addon p800-controller with battery-backed
cache, a msa70-cabinet and 11 2,5" sas-disks @ 15K in raid-6 and one
hotspare. The controller has 512 MB and is performing satisfactory.
This is on FreeBSD 7.0 release and postgresql 8.3.1.

I've heard many positive remarks on areca's raid-controllers as well,
vendor-support on FreeBSD and good performance.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare