Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:15:31 +0000
From:      Francis Jordan <frankrj@netscape.net>
To:        Steve Darrall <steve@haagen-dazs.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C589D

Steve Darrall wrote:

> I'm trying to get an IBM Thinkpad 380 up and running with 3.2-RELEASE.
>
> This is the output from dmesg when I just use the zp0 driver....
>
>   zp: found card in slot 0
>   zp0 at 0x300-0x30f irq 10 maddr 0xd0000 on isa
                       ^^^^^^
You specified IRQ 10 here--

> # 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
> card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
>         config  0x1 "ep0" ?
                           ^^^
... and no IRQ here---------!

So what does pccardd do?  It tries to use one of the "generally
available" IRQ's, specified below, beginning with IRQ 3:

> pccard.conf is...
>
> # Generally available IO ports
> io      0x240-0x360
> # Generally available IRQs (Built-in sound-card owners remove 5)
> irq     3 10 11 13 15
> # Available memory slots
> memory  0xd0000  96k

Unfortunately, IRQ 3 is most likely in use (normally by COM2 -- sio1),
hence it fails.

Change the relevant line in /etc/pccard.conf to:

config  0x1 "ep0" 10

and everything should work fine.  If it doesn't, try the following
command:

pccardc enabler 0 ep0 -m 2000 d0000 16 -a 300 -i 10

Hope this helps,

Frank