Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2011 01:19:45 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: memstick.img is bloated with 7% 2K blocks of nulls

> But from the manual page:
>
> -f file
>      Filename to use for the vnode type memory disk. Options -a
>      and -t vnode are implied if not specified.
>
> So if you specify -f then you get -t vnode automatically.

Ah yes.  Reading src/sbin/mdconfig/mdconfig.c with your "mdconfig
-a -f mfsroot" it seems the manual correctly represents the code
... except I'm lost what the purpose of cmdline is ?

( BTW I was wrong re:
> I suspect -t default is malloc, though manual doesnt say that
'f' actually follows with: mdio.md_type = MD_VNODE; )

Could author phk@FreeBSD.ORG cc'd (or someone else if they are clear)
please explain what cmdline is ?
Possibly commit an appended // comment after "int cmdline = 0;"
(in line 76 of 8.1 & current src/sbin/mdconfig/mdconfig.c) wgat it's for ?

	(cmdline seems in most places to maybe be an enum { 1
	2 3 } for { a d l } alternate forms of command mdconfig,
	... & yet case 'd': sets cmdline = 3 not 2 ?
	(& 't' & 'f' sets cmdline=2 ; not 1. 	Puzzling.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, Not HTML, Not base 64.