Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:30:57 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mouse question....

Gary Kline wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 12:30:48PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> >

> > Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > >         The mouse (Belkin? or something like that) has a switch
> > >         between "Microsoft" and "PS2";  we didn't try the PS2
> > >         but the "Microsoft" setting definitely failed.
> > >
> > >         The mouse on this box is that works here wouldn't work on
> > >         the other FBSD computer.
> > >
> > >         gary
> > >
> > >         PS: It occurs to me to rcp over the /etc/XF86Config from here
> > >         make the X -> link and try again with this mouse.  Didn't think
> > >         of that last night... .
> >
> > Did you use an adapter to connect from ps/2 to serial. No all adapters
> > are created equal :). Only the one that came with the mouse has worked
> > for me.
> >

>         Well, looks like, at a minimum, *this* mouse on my other machine
>         wasn't working because my /etc/ttys entry for "COM2" was wrong.
>         As for the ps/2 side of things, no, I didn't use any adaptor.

Hind sight is great :).

>         The remote mouse was either a cheap or free mouse that CompUSA or
>         whatever store was giving away.  If it came with an adaptor,
>         it's long lost!  At any rate, in the "Microsoft" mode, the
>         1st and 3rd buttons (only) worked.  Because I didn't use the
>         keyboard/mouse/CRT that much, I didn't pay much attention to
>         it.  Now it's a different story.

I understand that feeling well. The mouse port on my KVM switch died.
It would work on my old Win 2000 system but not on FreeBSD. I only
have one monitor and keyboard but now I have two mice. I was really
thinking about having two of the cordless mice until I got serious and
looked at the price.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart