Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:29:41 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        jadream <jadream@chat.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I crazy ot libc is not working? (atof())

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 06:29:19PM +0400, jadream wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm at the point of boiling after 10 hours trying to understand why
> under FreeBSD 3.2 at x86 generic machine in C-file compiled with default
> gcc without any specific clues standard lib function atof() is
> malfunctioning.
>
> double  res;
>
> res = atof("266738911.0");
>
> res can be zero or someting less then zero or some "magic" value like
> 10011000.000000.
>
> Just can't get what's wrong?
> can't believe in such a stupid bug in libc. Maybe something more
> complicated?
>
> Any ideas are welcome.

You did remember to #include <stdlib.h> to get the prototype for atof() ?
Because if you didn't include that file the compiler will believe that atof
returns an int and misinterpret the return value, which could well result
in such behaviour as you describe.

> Don't blame me if it's an obvious thing - may be I really need some
> medicine :0)
>
> Alex Komratov

<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson