Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 11:27:29 -0500 (GMT-0500)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> > like stripping (and decrease for writing unlike it :-( ). But from
> > my experience big databases are much more often read than written,
> > aren't they ?
>
> Yes, but I'd expect the agregate performance to stay about the same.

My experience isn't big :-)

> Large databases don't allow predictive read-ahead because they
> typically can't be modelled using a model that assumes locality
> of reference.

Oops. I throught that database manager can accept multiple requests
from clients in parallel and issue multiple parallel requests to
the disk subsystem. Is this wrong ?

		Serge Babkin

! (babkin@hq.icb.chel.su)
! Headquarter of Joint Stock Bank "Chelindbank"
! Chelyabinsk, Russia