Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:30:12 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backups

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 06:12:37PM -0800, Noah Davidson thus spoke:

> We want to be able to backup our windows and Unix mainly FreeBSD
> boxes. Most of our staff our windows people. Therefore I want
> something that will run on windows and backup Unix boxes. We are
> interested in Veritas BackupExec products. We have used these
> before. Unfortunately there are no FreeBSD clients only Linux
> clients. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions on how to backup
> our FreeBSD File System / boxes and mySQL databases? Any advice
> would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I think you'd be better off with backing up the Windows
systems to the Unix side - as my experience has shown them to be
much better.   Check Cactus.  www.cactus.com.  I'm running their
Lone-Tar backup system [which does bit-level verfies of the tape
against the HD after backup] on a couple of FreeBSD boxes.
They support almost every Unix system ever made it seems.  I don't
know it the MS<>Unix product works there.

I've just noticed in client sites that their Windows backup systems
are much much slower than anything I've seen in the Unix
environment.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com