Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 1996 14:50:10 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.org>
Cc:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RealAudio on FreeBSD

>From The Desk Of Kim Culhan :
>

> On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Sujal Patel wrote:
>
> > Actually, RealAudio 3.0 is currently in Beta on windows platforms.  It
> > provides much better quality then the 2.0b4 player.  Unix players should
> > be available in the near future (including FreeBSD).
>
> BTW I looked into the 'demo' program and it appears they only want to
> allow 'serious' potential customers to try it.
>
> Wonder if the FreeBSD version would work with a Gravis PnP.

I don't know about that particular version of the RealAudio player however
the previous one seems to work okay with my GUS PnP over here.

> Recently I've had renewed interest in video and sound, Amancio fixed the
> sound driver setup on -current last weekend which is working out real
> fine.
>
> Do you have video and audio working with mbone-type tools?
>
> I'd like to see if this GUS setup will work for audio transmission
> but I don't know what the present state of the sound driver WRT
> VAT.

Also Kim if you use the server which I send you , you shall be able
to  send audio with your current sound driver. Just get an mbone
tunnel and start broadcasting audio, video and text 8)

As for vat:

Wait a little longer , I had a problem over here with my version of
vat which was triggered by the sound driver. So far vat seems to work
okay. For instance, I was listening to CBC news last night. The only
gotcha is that sometimes vat gets behind and the sound gets distorted.
It is a little difficult to fix because the sound buffering is setup
for 20ms 8)

The other serious outstanding issue is that playing midi files can
crash a system and I am trying to analyze a core dump over here.
Once, I get over this last crash I will release a new gus pnp driver.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio

	Amancio