Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:41:03 +0200
From:      Marko Lerota <marko.lerota@zg.t-com.hr>
To:        Rudy Rucker <crapsh@monkeybrains.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CARP on backup doesn't relinquish MASTER

Rudy Rucker <crapsh@monkeybrains.net> writes:

> I noticed that if I reboot a server that is the MASTER, the carp0 on
> the BACKUP box goes into MASTER mode and stays that way -- even when
> the real master machine has finished rebooting.  Is this a desired
> trait to prevent CARP from switching IPs out of control?

Yes, it depends of what you have put in 'net.inet.carp.preempt'

if it's net.inet.carp.preempt=0
than the backap will become master and stays that way

and if it's net.inet.carp.preempt=1
then the "real" master will take over the IP address from backup
server when he gets in the OK state

--
One cannot sell the earth upon which the people walk
                               			Tacunka Witco