Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 13:14:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system config database...

This is in line with my current thinking. As sick
as this may sound, it will be a little smit-ish
(ever use AIX?). Me thinks the major parsing and
generation of directives (what should happen next)
should not be shell based; too hazardous.

It seems that there still a need for a per service
set of scripted instruction for startup.
An /etc/rc.d with mini-scripts for features. Some
similarites with SysV, but with out rc2.d rc1.d.

Encapsulation and easy interface to the meta-data
through a static binary that will run the
boot process, allow for general queries and
updates.

It would be an atomic replacement for
the current rc stuff, but not to spell
a dead end for the old way, as you suggest.

Dan

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[snip]
> (generally) be expected to edit it directly but rather use one or more
> browsing tools for displaying and editing each "startup object" in a
> friendlier form, that perhaps looking something like this:
>
> name:	  amd
> desc:	  The Auto Mount Daemon for NFS filesystems.
> enabled:  no
> class:	  net
> order:	  9
> requires: is_enabled nfs_client && is_enabled network
> v_exec:   amd
> v_flags:  -a /net -c 1800 -k i386 -d ${domain} -l syslog /host /etc/amd.map
> command:  ${v_exec} ${v_flags}
>
> The attribute names are somewhat contrived, but basically you want
> each startup entity to be something which describes itself (thus
> eliminating the grotty in-line comments in /etc/rc.conf) and gives you
[snip]

--
danj@3skel.com
Dan Janowski