Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:55:25 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@sour.cream.org>
To:        Akash Mahbubani <akash@akash.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel problems

At 21:27 09/11/98 -0600, Akash Mahbubani wrote:
>Hello everybody.  I'm kinda new to this operating system, and I am trying
>Build a custom kernel according to the instructions in the handbook on the
>web.  Every time I do a "make depend", I get the following error:
>
>../../dev/dpt/dpt_control.c:389: warning: #warning "O/S Version
>determination is an ugly hack"
>ioconf.c:89: sys/bus_private.h: No such file or directory
>mkdep: compile failed
>***Error code 1
>

>Stop.

This question would probably be better sent to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org and when asking questions it is often helpful
to include the information returned by the 'uname -a' command.

But anyway, if you are following the instructions in the handbook exactly
there must be a problem with your kernel configuation file. Try going back
to the GENERIC kernel and compile that, to make sure that you can compile
kernels sucessfully. Then try making the changes you want one-by-one. That
way you'll find the change which is causing the problem.

And in between compilations make sure that you remove everything in the
/usr/src/sys/compile/<whatever/ directory to make sure that you're
compiling from scratch.
--
Andrew Boothman <andrew@sour.cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org