Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 16:14:19 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with new IDE's & -current

On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 08:51:42PM +0000, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a system that's meant as a 'backup disk spool' - it has a 2Gb SCSI
> drive to boot from, and then 2 x 16Gb IDE drives (IBM-DTTA-351680's).
>
> The system works fine so long as I stick to using the SCSI drives... If I use
> the IDE's (e.g. backup another machine to them, tar / untar 'usr/src' to them)
> I start getting problems,
>
> e.g.
>
> Jan 14 13:01:42 magpie /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:
> Jan 14 13:01:42 magpie /kernel: wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
> Jan 15 17:56:52 magpie /kernel: lnc0: Missed packet -- no receive buffer
> Jan 15 17:57:43 magpie /kernel: lnc0: Missed packet -- no receive buffer

[snip]

> The machine is a dual P90 (running SMP) - I get the problems even with a
> single CPU kernel... It's running Neptune chipset (quite old) - and only
> has 1 IDE channel.

I would say that this has something to do with the DMA support, but since
Neptune's IDE controller isn't DMA capable and PCI, that doesn't follow.
Chances are that there's a not-quite-bad spot on your drive -- does it
always seem to happen in the same place on the disk?

<soapbox>
I have no love lost for Neptune boards; we have two of them at work,
and it's like trying to work with a 486 board with an OverDrive chip on it.
I'm also wary of Intel boards in general, since they tend to think they're
smarter than you.
</soapbox>