Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:46:21 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, FreeBSD current users <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: something funny with soft updates?

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :there may not be anything wrong but I expected more improvement.
> :I remember that when I first committed softupdates it made a noticable
> :difference....
>
>     Julian, please note that a buildworld does *NOT* seriously exercise
>     the filesystem.  I/O ops are mostly reads.  The only area where
>     softupdates might have a major effect would be the rm -rf of the
>     object tree at the beginning.

I still want to know why his KSE numbers were better than the
non-KSE numbers when KSE was not using soft updates, and they
are the same, now that he *is* using soft updates.

In general, there is (was?) a positive difference in buildworld
times when using soft updates, and Julian seems to have now
demonstrated that this is no longer the case.

It would be interesting to find out what broke and who broke it,
which is what I think he's asking, and recover the speedup, and
find out if it's all in the object tree delete, or not (I think
that Julian starts without an object tree for this masurement,
right?).

Maybe the difference in speed is related to the UFS2 commit?

-- Terry