Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 12:16:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, postmaster@tin.it
Subject:   Complete incompetence in Telecom Italia (was: Read this...)

On Monday, 10 May 1999 at 19:35:12 -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein scribbled this message on May 10:
>> folks... it's baaaaaaaaaack... :/

>>> Let me explain the meaning of the word "support" from my personal point of
>>>
>>> 1) I haven't any Sun Hardware. I'm a student and I cannot pay 3000$ for a Sun
>>> Ultra5, only to "play" with it. I would have an AXi motherboard (good for
>>> experiments) but it costs too much. So, for the hardware I would have something
>>> like 50% of the price (no free hardware, at actual stage). Why Sun could give
>>> me/us this: I have not 3000$, and actually there are few persons with an Ultra
>>> box, so _if_ Sun wants more developers on this project they must help in some
>>> way. This is the situation it's not "charity"... Please note also  the word
>>> "Open" also means: I can buy it for a good price.
>>>
>>> 2) Docs, pdf and other things.... On Intel you can find _anything_ about "how
>>> it boots", "how it works", books and docs. If you go in a bookstore you can
>>> find many books about "everything". Not the same situation on Sparc.
>>> So again: "Open" means I can read "how it works" without paying 500$...
>>>
>>> 3) Moral support. Actually, if Sun (SME) will put something on-line about the
>>> harware we can do a good job (something that works/boots on limited hardware)
>>> with no moral support. We can do experiments where "I don't know how it works"
>>> and read where "it's documented at page..."
>>>
>>> Thanks for youe time 8)
>
> yeh, I noticed incase you try it, don't:
> 	a) send mail to postmaster@fep01-svc.tin.it where this message
> 	   is coming from, it doesn't exist
> 	b) send mail to poastmaster@mail.tin.it, they refuse to relay
> 	   mail to themselves
>
> I have sent mail to jmb to help fix this problem and mail to
> postmaster@tin.it actually succeeded, but considering their dns problems
> I doubt they will respond, let alone actually fix the problems they
> have..   We can always hope though...

I have sent several messages to postmaster@tin.it, and to everybody
else in every way responsible for this domain.  I have had no reply.

I have had very a good relationship with Telecom Italia in the past.
Obviously, though, the people who run their Internet connection are
completely incompetent people who put the whole company to shame.

Greg